Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Another Month Has Come and Gone

I'm ashamed to say I failed horribly at my March goal: take a picture a day. I can't say if this is because I was lazy, uninspired, or forgetful. Likely it's a combination of all three. In any case, my attempt to spark some hidden creativity by taking pictures of specified things each day did not work. Apparently to find my creativity, I'd have to dig deeper than six-year-olds trying to dig to China do.

Some of my goals for later in the year focus on fostering my imagination, but I clearly do much better at sticking to more concrete, tangible goals. That's why I have high hopes for April's goal: no eating out on weekdays and weeknights. My menu for the month is set and will give me leftovers for lunches, so I know I can do it. Also, this ridiculous heat we've already been experiencing lessens my appetite, so that should help.

In addition, I found out today that my mortgage is going up an ungodly amount to cover my escrow shortage, so I'll likely be too broke even for McDonald's for the next year.

I may lose that stubborn ten pounds yet...

I didn't do so hot with my reading goal either---due in part to my vacation to Houston and my mom coming to visit me---but because of my fast and furious January/February reading, I'm still nine books ahead of schedule. Holla!

The only books I finished in March were:
1. Lincoln on Leadership - This is a great nonfiction read about the principles of modern leadership that Abraham Lincoln utilized in his day.

2. The Great Divorce - I read this for book club at work and wouldn't read it again. I've discovered that I'm not much of a C.S. Lewis fan, no matter how much I endeavored to be. Luckily this book was a quick read, but I didn't particularly enjoy the story of a man who gets to tour heaven and finds that most people don't actually want to stay there. I just can't wrap my brain around it.

3. The Future of Us - I thought this book was going to be great. I loved Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why, but this book of Asher's and Carolyn Mackler's fell flat. The premise is that of a teenage boy and girl in 1996 who discover their Facebook profiles fifteen years in the future. They tried to change their futures in small ways, but they didn't try to do or change anything of substance. The female protagonist was disturbingly shallow and self-centered, leading me to wonder why the male lead was at all interested in her. I gave the book three stars because it was a fairly entertaining, quick read, but I was disappointed in the ending and found the characters' relationship confusing and a bit unrealistic.

Here's hoping my April books will be more remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment