Monday, October 29, 2012

My New Addiction

Surprise, surprise: it's food. More specifically, carbs.

The breadsticks I made yesterday—and which I’m giving you the recipe for—are life changing. You’re welcome in advance.

I pinned the recipe several months ago because the previous pinner proclaimed they were the best breadsticks EVER. How could I pass them up?

I finally got around to making them and won’t go back to boring brown ‘n’ serve rolls again.

These pillows of perfection start off with Rhodes rolls. You have to let them thaw in the fridge overnight. [Note: I planned on making these Saturday, so I took them out of the freezer Friday night. I didn’t get around to making them until Sunday, and by that time the rolls were basically one big glob of dough. If this happens to you, it’s not a problem. They’ll still turn out delicious.]

The magic begins by melting an entire stick of butter. You really can’t go wrong from here. Pour the butter in a baking sheet and cover it with Parmesan cheese. Here’s the really great part: the cheese doesn’t even have to be fancy and expensive. I used Great Value.



Now roll the dough into snakes, like you did with Play-Doh as a kid, and place them on top of the buttery, cheesy goodness. Ignore the phallic-ness of the dough, please.
 

Now it's time to let them rise.
 
I had the heater on since it was finally chilly, and I helped the rising process along even more by rigging up a tent of sorts to put over the pan.
 

You’ve got at least a couple hours to kill here, so this is a good time to take a nap or read or run to the store because you realized you don’t have enough butter for the next step. I chose the latter.

After a couple hours your dough should be perfectly plump, like this:


Now you can preheat the oven to 350*.
 
 
And now comes the final piece of magic: cover those bad boys in squeezy butter and more cheese. [Note: The original recipe said you could also melt butter and brush or spray it on the dough.]
 
 
Please don't mind that deformed one on the left. I kinda dropped the bottle of butter on it. I literally had butter fingers.
 
Now put them in the oven and stare at the clock longingly for the next 15 to 20 minutes. It’s an exercise in will power to wait for them to cool before you tear them apart and dig in. An exercise I failed, I must admit.
 
I mean, how long could you wait after pulling these guys out of the oven?

 

I gave them about a minute to rest and then devoured two breadsticks in a matter of about two minutes. They’re seriously that good.

They have an almost cheddar-y flavor and are soft and buttery and pure melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness.

I’ll leave you with Chance’s words of praise. “Ashley, I’m not gonna lie. I’m feelin’ these breadsticks.” Said while reaching for his third one.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man these look so good! (P.S. You're almost done with everyday blogging!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're ridiculously good! YES...one day left! I wasn't sure I'd ever make it :-)

    ReplyDelete