Thursday, March 7, 2013

Please Don't Look at Me Differently...

...but I just remembered I’m kinda famous.

I’m not Kid President famous. Or Grumpy Cat famous. Or even Harlem Shake famous (you’re not getting a video of this because I will never get why it’s a thing).

But my voice is floating around the interwebs!

Before I was an underpaid-and-overworked ballin’ conceptual editor, I was a part-time copyeditor who moonlighted as an audio book narrator.

Impressive, eh?

This was actually a pretty natural career move for me, seeing as how I enjoyed a short stint as a radio broadcaster several years back.

Okay, I wasn’t so much a broadcaster as a middle-schooler who could barely report the school news because she and her partner in crime were laughing too hard at everything and nothing.

My dear friend Hannah and I were in the Gifted & Talented program in school (reppin’ for the nerds!), which really just meant that we participated in academic meets (and by participated I mean I stood there and hoped my shaking hands didn’t accidentally push the buzzer), got to work in the Christmas gift shop, and reported riveting school news for a local radio station once a month.

We’d practice our lines on the fifteen-minute drive to the station, but no matter how uneventful the news was (lunch menu, honor roll students, blah blah blah), we always managed to crack up just a few seconds in. A funny name or a single look could keep us doubled over in laughter for a good three minutes.

And this happened no fewer than seven times every time we went.

Somehow we always managed to collect ourselves and get through the should-have-been-a-five-
minute-broadcast-but-always-turned-into-a-half-hour-ordeal. But the station manager (I don’t actually know what his title was) and our sponsor were always highly annoyed by our inability to say three words without uproarious laughter.

Side note: Hannah and I just have the giggles effect on each other. Get us together and say the name “Beverly,” and we’ll laugh for days. It’s an inside joke that will never get old.

So it’s probably for the best that Hannah wasn’t in the booth with me while I was recording the guide to cooking with arthritis and the children’s book about getting a new mommy. I never would have made it through.

I got promoted to full time after just a couple months as a narrator (holler!), so I only lent my vocal talents to eight books.

And lucky for you guys, I’ve got the Audible link with all the books right here. So you can check out some samples of my work and praise the Lord that wonder why I didn’t pursue this as a career.

https://mobile.audible.com/search.htm?type=search&cache=1&narrator=Ashley+Luckett&page=1

Good stuff, huh?

P.S. Check out this completely ridiculous sweet testimonial of my work from the Audio Book Store:

http://www.theaudiobookstore.com/narrators/ashley-luckett/

I especially like the parts about me being one of their “more popular narrators” (uh…yeah, right) and Ashley lending “their considerable talents to literary works” (I’m a girl; the pronoun you’re looking for is “her”).

No comments:

Post a Comment