Friday, June 10, 2011

My Name Is Ashley, and I'm a Shopaholic.

This budgeting thing I've gotten myself into is hard. Very hard. Painfully hard. After a mild setback in the form of a last-minute Homeland trip last week, I vowed to get back on track this week. Wrong. For one thing, my mom stayed with me last weekend so we could go to the KC and the Sunshine Band concert at Frontier City. That meant I had to get into Frontier City, which is a staggering $33. (Okay, maybe it's not so steep, but it seems to be when you've put yourself on a strict budget.) But I, being the super-thrifty chick I am, found coupons online for $8 off, so my admission into the park was only $25, plus tax, of course. I managed to keep my wallet closed for the rest of the day, and the weekend as well, so my tally for the entire weekend was only that measly $25.
*Please don't misunderstand this to mean I didn't want my mom to come stay with me for the weekend. I did want her to. And I always do. This was just one of those unnecessary things I had warned myself to stay away from. But we had a blast, and I don't regret going. 
I guess because I had already spent money I hadn't planned on, it was pretty easy this week to spend a few bucks here and there—four bucks at Sonic, three dollars at Braum's, ten at Target. Obviously, that quickly adds up. As did the $19 I spent on mineral makeup. My best friend sent me an ecstatic text about a great online deal that was being offered, and I couldn't pass it up either. I mean, the value was fifty bucks, so this was a steal, people. You can't fault me for practically stealing awesome makeup, can you? Now Jennifer and I just have to figure out how to apply this fancy makeup...
Among all these unplanned purchases, however, I was able to restrain myself from some unnecessary acquisitions. As badly as I wanted a book called The Book of Awesome from Target on Tuesday, I conjured up some super-human willpower and left it on the shelf, after a ten-minute debate. I will, though, be buying it at a later date (probably next week, after payday). Twice this week I went to Maurice's with my friend Laura and walked out without a single bag. Those of you who know of my love affair with Maurice's will applaud the considerable self-control I exercised on these outings. And last but not least, this afternoon I turned down both Chik-fil-A and Quiznos. I have been wanting a Quiznos chicken Caesar chopped salad for quite some time now, so this was an especially difficult craving to overcome. But I have Ramen noodles and cereal in my pantry, so I knew I wouldn't starve to death.
Better luck next week, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment