Thursday, June 2, 2011

Penny Pinching and Pepperoni Pizza


I started my month of frugality by promptly deleting the e-mails from Maurice’s, New York & Company, Charlotte Russe, and several other stores that I should just send my paycheck to. These e-mails seemed to fill my inbox on this particular day. I didn’t even allow myself to open the e-mails for fear that the allure of the super-duper sales would prove to be too much for me to handle. I’m in the beginning stages of this whole budgeting/saving thing, so I was afraid to tempt fate.
I did keep the Groupon and Living Social e-mails, though. These coupons for big savings in my area are just too hard to pass up sometimes. I keep them around because I never know when I’ll come across a 90 percent-off coupon for an alignment, full-body massage, or cup of frozen yogurt. And those are deals I just can’t ignore.
On day one, though, I had a small victory and a significant defeat. My victory came when my friend and coworker Laura asked if I’d like to accompany her to Homeland at lunch. She wanted a little something sweet. I too had a sweet tooth (but when do I not?). I agreed to join her, but I brought with me only my determination not to give in to my cravings. My wallet stayed at work. I told you it was a small victory…but it’s a victory nonetheless.
My setback came when, after zumba, I was drained of all energy and was not at all up to cooking. Randel was coming over (Wednesdays are our stay-in date nights), so I felt I should make something. After not much careful planning and zero deliberation, I decided a frozen pizza would work. Since I was basically skimping out on dinner, I figured I would get a DiGiorno pizza and cookies combo so we could finish off our un-fancy meal with a sweet treat. Unfortunately, Homeland didn’t have these wonderful new creations, so I settled for a Freschetta pepperoni pizza and a Symphony bar for both of us. While waiting in line, I perused the candy bars, tabloids, and random items that are strategically placed in the checkout line to taunt weak people like me. During my three-minute wait, I remembered I was out of gum and picked up a pack of Orbit Sweet Mint.
By the time I left the store, I was out $11 and the sense of confidence I had felt upon starting the day, the first day of the rest of my budgeting life. Sigh. I can only hope my willpower grows tremendously in the trying days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment