Tuesday, July 3, 2012

New Beginnings

Okay, I know you've all been on the edge of your seats since yesterday (that is, if you didn't see my Facebook comments about it), when I teased you with multiple mentions of my glamorous new job and wonderful career move. Well, maybe I didn't make it sound that exciting yesterday, but it's going to be. I just know it.

Let's start from the beginning. Things have been happening at work over the last couple months that have made me realize it's time for a change. I had been craving new job opportunities for a while actually, and the craziness at work gave me the push I needed to seek out those opportunities. I won't go into much detail, except to say that while May and June were hectic/stressful/terrifying months for me work wise, July is already shaping up to be a heckuva lot better.

I know you're all thinking, Get on with it already. Where is this supposedly glamorous new job? So without further ado, here is the moment you've been waiting for, the moment I reveal the heretofore top-secret location of my new job. Drum roll, please... Hobby Lobby! No, I won't be selling scrapbook paper, greenery, fabric, and picture frames. I have accepted a copywriter position at their corporate offices.

I anticipate that when people ask me what I do now, I'll have just as much difficulty accurately describing my position as I do when I tell people I'm an editor. Most people think I read all day. That, my friends, is false. Some days I don't get to read at all. I also answer e-mails and phone calls, attend a boatload of meetings, write the promotional copy for the back cover of books, and lots more. The woman who conducted my second interview at HL led me to believe I would perform a variety of different tasks in my role as copywriter as well.

So while I'd love to gush about all the cool stuff I'll be doing, I'm not yet sure exactly what cool stuff I'll be doing. The only thing I do know is that I'll get to write up some of HL's project sheets. Once again, not easy to describe, so if you're that interested, Google "Hobby Lobby project sheets" to get an idea. But in a nutshell, I'll be writing info about and instructions for creating the crafts and projects HL's craft team puts together.

I have high hopes that I'll now really start decorating my house, what with all the ideas I'll be writing about...and the sweet employee discount I'll get. Holla!

I start this new chapter of my life on July 16, after ending my current chapter July 13. I already know saying good-bye to my coworkers and job as an editor will be bittersweet, but this is the right time for a change, and I couldn't be more excited.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ashley, I hope you can share that discount with me, your long-lost sister. So excited for you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, most definitely. I'm calling it a "friends and family" discount. Thank you! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete