Monday, April 18, 2011

Is It Friday Yet?

I could tell it was Monday from the minute I woke up to my blaring alarm clock. I vaguely remember accidentally hitting some button when I set the alarm last night, but nothing happened at the time, so I thought nothing of it. Apparently it was the volume button, and it was turned ALL the way up. Waking up to Britney Spears screaming in my ear was not the most pleasant way to start the week. After getting my heartbeat back to normal, I crawled out of bed and trudged groggily to the bathroom. While I was drying out my toothbrush holder (it had gross dried gunk in the bottom, so I rinsed it out with hot water), it flew out of my hand and shattered on the tile. Are you kidding me? I thought and set about cleaning up the bits of broken porcelain. By the time I had cleaned up the mess, I was running ten minutes later than usual. I wake up at the last possible minute, so I had my doubts about making it to work on time.
In addition to my bathroom butterfingers, my hair refused to cooperate. This is nothing unusual, but on this already-doomed Monday, my hair's stubbornness put me in a pretty foul mood. So it ended up in an unflattering bun/knot thing. But I had spent too much time attempting to coerce it into submission, so I was still running late. I pulled into the parking lot at work just two minutes after 7:00, though. As I was waiting for my computer to boot up and arranging my desk for the day, I realized I had forgotten to bring breakfast. So I had a difficult choice to make: whether or not to risk the Fiber One bar. Those cardboard-no-delicious-yes granola bars are deceiving. They do taste delicious, and nothing like cardboard. But if you've ever had one, you know what the fiber eventually does to you. I was famished, though, and knew I'd never make it till lunch without some calories in my system, so I went for it.
I experienced no side effects from the Fiber One bar and thought my Monday was turning around. Then came lunchtime. I ran to Walmart so I wouldn't have to go after work and picked up a new toothbrush holder. As I was placing my items on the checkout counter, my not-yet-paid-for toothbrush holder jumped out of my hands. Yep, another one. It bounced a couple times, and I thought, Oh good, this one's gonna make it. I was wrong. Another shattered toothbrush holder. I profusely apologized to the cashier, flushed with embarrassment and anger at these toothbrush holders that just would not stay in my hands today. I finally made it out of the store with an intact toothbrush holder and lots of chocolate.
After work I went to the Cox store to trade in my regular ol' cable box for a DVR. That's right, folks. I am now part of the modern world. I'm most excited about being able to rewind TV shows and the sports I watch. I can create my own replays now. When I got the fancy silver box home, my technology ineptitude slapped me in the face. I couldn't hook this box up to save my life. The boyfriend was at work and lives half an hour away anyway. Being the sweetheart he is, he was willing to come hook it up for me when he got off, but being the sweetheart I am, I didn't want to make him waste his gas just for my lack of general cable-box knowledge. Luckily, the bestie, Jennifer, and her husband were out and about and offered to stop by. In an embarrassingly (for me) short amount of time, Evan had it working. Just when he thought he was going to get to go home, I asked him to take a look at the flying saucer that had blown off my roof and landed in my driveway over the weekend. The flying saucer is actually an attic vent (or something), but it's large, metal, and looks completely foreign to me. Since I don't have a ladder, Evan climbed the fence and somehow made it onto the roof, while Jennifer, Reed (her adorable almost-one-year-old), and I sat outside and enjoyed the warm weather. Poor Evan was on the roof at least fifteen minutes, but he eventually fixed me up. If he hadn't fixed it for me, the next time it rained (whenever that may be), water would have leaked in and created a lovely water spot on my ceiling.
Although I started out with a case of the Mondays, a visit from my best friend and her wonderful little family quickly turned that around. Whether I need home repairs, baked goods, or just some girl time, I know I can count on Jennifer. (Evan and Reed are good for the home repairs [and baked goods even, believe it or not], but they tend to stay out of mine and Jennifer's girl time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment