Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Why I Don't Watch Movies

An alternative title to this post could be "I Know I'm Lame because I've Seen Virtually No Movies That Everyone Else on the Planet Has Watched, but I'm Doing Something about That, So Don't Judge Me Too Harshly."

Anyone who knows me well knows that I rarely watch movies. It’s not that I dislike the idea of movies. It’s that I’m a multitasker with a short attention span by nature. I like the freedom that a sitcom gives me, with its lighthearted material and commercial breaks. I can fold laundry, load the dishwasher, or check Facebook, all without missing any important plot points.

With a movie, you have to devote your full attention to one thing for two hours. That’s just not something I normally choose to do.

So almost any time someone asks me if I’ve seen a movie, the answer is no.

But that’s all about to change, my friends.

Kelly, my friend and copywriting partner in crime, and I have come up with a list of over 100 movies I must watch. And I've decided to start working my way through that list this year. More on this tomorrow...

I’m not going to post the whole list, because who really cares that much? But just to give you an idea of how bad I am at watching movies, here are a few of the movies I've never seen:

Sleepless in Seattle
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Gone with the Wind
Juno
Footloose (to be fair, I have seen bits and pieces)
E.T.

and the list goes on.

Don't judge.

Below are the movies I don’t have access to. So if you have any of these movies, wanna let me borrow them? And/or watch with me?

1. Tootsie

2. Father of the Bride

3. Sleeping with the Enemy

4. Dying Young

5. To Kill a Mockingbird

6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

7. Casablanca

8. The Shining

9. Gran Torino

10. Memento

11. Fargo

12. Vanilla Sky

13. Empire of the Sun

14. Mystic River

15. Brother, Where Art Thou?

16. Rain Man

17. The Shawshank Redemption

18. Idiocracy

19. The Commitments

20. Muriel’s Wedding

21. Office Space

22. Funny Girl

23. Up

24. Catch Me If You Can

25. Changeling

26. The Intouchables

27. Misery

28. 40-Year-Old Virgin

29. Atonement

30. Dead Poet’s Society

31. The Truman Show

32. A Few Good Men

Get ready for a year of movie-related posts. These won't be reviews, because I'm hardly qualified to discuss a movie's strong and weak points--obviously. But I'll let you know what I think of 'em.

4 comments:

  1. I have Shawshank Redemption because it is Sean's favorite movie, and you can definitely come by and borrow it whenever!

    I have not seen a few of those movies, either. And I hope the Father of the Bride you are talking about is the one with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor, not the one with Steve Martin and Kimberly Williams-Paisley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll have to take you up on that. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I can hook you up with A Few Good Men, Dead Poet's Society, The Untouchables, Shawshank Redemption, Casablanca, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Sleeping with the Enemy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I sense a movie date coming up soon!

      Delete