Friday, February 24, 2012

Fabulous Friday #15: Vacations

In light of the fact that I'll be heading to Houston for a mini vacation in one week's time, this week's Fab Friday post is devoted to vacations.
My family didn't really go on vacations when I was younger. My mom was a single mom of three, so it wasn't like we had money to spend on a Disneyland vacation. We did go on a few weekend and day trips with my grandparents, though, and even drove to Michigan to visit family with them a couple times. These were great times, but we didn't do this every summer or holiday.
Because my travels have been limited to a handful of states, I'm eager to begin taking a few vacations in my adult life.
Thus, next Friday, my good friend Laura and I are road-tripping to Houston to visit another good friend of ours, Aubrey, who moved there several months ago. I haven't been on vacation in a year (pretty much to the day), so this will be a welcome and much-needed break from work and reality. I'm excited for my second road trip, can't wait to see Aubrey, my Criminal Minds bud, and am looking forward to forgetting all about my responsibilities for a few days.
Last year around this time, Laura, Shawna, and I were embarking on my first road trip. We went to Louisiana, specifically Mardi Gras, and had a blast. Our few days there were spent getting to know Shawna's sweet family, getting acquainted with N'awlins food, such as beignets, jambalaya, and seafood of all kinds, and of course, collecting beads. Good times.
I'm also saving up for a trip to England to visit my dear Shawna in the fall. This will be the first time I've been on a plane, which means it will be my first time leaving the country, which means I'll need a passport. This trip is going to require a bit more preparation than driving to Houston will, but it will be well worth it.
Getting away with friends, whether for a week, an extended weekend, or just a day, is my saving grace. Without vacations and girls' nights to look forward to, my days would be pretty bleak. That's not to say my life isn't fulfilled in other areas. I have an amazing family, a wonderful and caring boyfriend, a dog who can make me laugh with just a look, a rewarding job, and most other things I need in life. But what would a girl do without her friends and the vacations from life's worries that they provide?

2 comments:

  1. Vacations are the best! I'm super jealous. I hope it's a wonderful trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are! I'm excited! Thanks, Bronwyn!

    ReplyDelete