Monday, February 28, 2011

Meet and Greet Monday: Deuce


I have declared the last Monday of the month “Meet and Greet Monday.” On said day, I will introduce you to some of the most important people and things in my life. I can’t imagine my life without these people and things, so I want to share with my readers (all 5 of you) what it is about them that makes them so special. As my first “Meet and Greet Monday” subject I give you Deuce, my dog. I realize, of course, that Deuce is not a person. But neither is he a thing. He is, however, my constant companion and one of the loves of my life. So without further ado:

The moment I saw Deuce two years ago, I was in love. I had been looking for a dog for a few weeks and came across a Craigslist ad featuring a three-month-old part-pit puppy. There was no picture, but the description (and the fact that he was free) was enough for me. The ad informed me that he was white with large brown patches and was the last remaining puppy of the litter. I’ve always had a soft spot for animals, especially dogs. Knowing this particular pup was part pit bull (and some people have reservations about this breed) and still unclaimed after three months solidified my decision—this was the dog for me.
Unfortunately, he wasn’t sold on the idea of having me as his mommy. He wanted nothing to do with me the first couple days. He stayed curled up in the tightest spaces he could find, barely ate a thing, and only moved when I forcibly picked him up to take him outside. Eventually he must have gotten used to the idea that he was stuck with me and finally warmed up to me. We’ve been inseparable ever since.
Deuce is unlike any dog I’ve ever met. My youngest brother calls him “Dennis the Menace,” my other brother says he has ADHD, and I am often convinced he has no brain. He barks for who knows how long when I leave the house. The only words he knows are his name and outside. When I get home from work every day, he bursts out of the room he stays in, sliding across the wood floors, and jumps up at me repeatedly, getting a good three feet off the ground every time. Taking him for a walk is an impossible task, as is giving him a bath.
Despite all this, however, he really is one of my best friends. Coming home to my over-excited canine is the highlight of my day. Seeing how excited he is when I get home warms my heart. It’s my fault he’s spoiled rotten (he’s just so darn cute that adequately disciplining him is impossible), so I have no one to blame for his bad behavior but myself.
Bad behavior aside, my life was changed with the addition of Deuce that February night two years ago.
And now the moment you’ve been waiting for, adorable pictures of my furry friend: 





It was extremely hard to limit myself to just a few, but I don’t want to be that girl. Oh wait, maybe the simple fact that this post is devoted to him automatically makes me that girl. But if that’s the case, so be it. My dog is my baby, and I’m proud to be his mommy.

2 comments:

  1. there is nothing wrong with some furry children pride. :) at least, i hope there isn't. if there is, i must be really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we can be annoying furry children parents together. We'll swap the photos we keep in our wallets and discuss their latest tricks, vet appointments, and shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete