Monday, August 29, 2011

Meet and Greet Monday: Girls' Nights!

"Oowah oowah!" (I really have no idea how to spell the sound that is inevitably made [especially by Randel and Chance] after hearing the words "girls' night," but this was my attempt.)


Yes, August's "meet and greet" spot goes to none other than the super-fun-but-don't-happen-often-enough girls' nights. Every girl needs some friends to hang out and have fun with every now and then, and I just so happen to have a few groups of friends who are so kind as to indulge me in weekly, monthly, and whenever-we-can-get-together girls' nights. So let me break it down for you:

The bestie and I: Jennifer and I have known each other since kindergarten, became closer than sisters in college, and now have girly dates whenever we get the chance. These can be dinner at one of our houses, movie night, and/or getting pedicures then going shopping. We bond over cookies, silly stories, and our love of shoes, and sometimes our girls' nights include all three! Whatever we do, though, you can bet there are always many laughs and, in college, sloppy Tecates involved.
Ready for Tecate Tuesday at A&E


Before Jennifer's bachelorette party

ASL (Ashley, Shawna, and Laura, not American Sign Language): While our weekly girls' night has changed days several times for a number of reasons, we get together at least once a week without fail, except on those occasions that one of the group (ahem, Laura) can't make it. But since Shawna and I threatened to unfriend her in real life and on Facebook, that has been happening a lot less lately. We actually have two weekly nights now, Sunday and Thursday. Sunday night is devoted to one of our favorite shows, Drop Dead Diva. And on Thursday nights we do whatever strikes our fancy, most often beginning with a trip to Walmart or Target and ending with us doing ridiculous things at Laura's apartment. Allow me to present to you Exhibit A:
Planking, perhaps?
Yes, this is me planking...er, what we called "planking." I will never do this in public (because, quite honestly, I really don't understand the point of it), but in a moment of randomness, we decided to plank on Laura's bar stools.
And now for Exhibit B:
The skeptical expression on my face tells you that I know this isn't the hairstyle for me.
This is me in Zulu knots, which we thought would become very fashionable in Mustang after we got back from Mardi Gras. Luckily, it didn't catch on.
We also have Zumba dance parties, which consists of Shawna and me showing Laura the new Zumba dances we learned and/or making up our own choreography to go along with songs we think should be Zumba songs.
Once again, always many laughs.

Jennifer, Hannah, Lindsey, and me: When the four of us get together (which doesn't happen nearly as often as we'd like and which needs to happen ASAP), we inevitably wind up at Zio's. I don't know why, but it's just our place. We laugh and catch up over delicious pasta and even more delicious bellinis. Can't you see why I love hanging out with these fabulous beauties?
Notice the empty bellini glasses...
Mom and me: Last but certainly not least is the girls' night with my mama. I don't get to see my mom as often as I'd like, but when I do, we spend our girls' nights with junk food (chips and dip for Mom, ice cream for me), board games, and Doris Day movies--Calamity Jane, That Touch of Mink, Pillow Talk, With Six You Get Eggroll... I could go on and on. Once again, unfortunately, there are no pictures of my mama and me. She hates pictures and would ground me if I put any up without her permission. (Yes, I realize I'm a grown woman, but nobody messes with Mama.)

Girls' nights are important enough for a coveted "meet and greet" spot because they are time spent with my girls, who are all so important to me. Without my girls and our girls' nights, I would be getting a pedicure, planking, trying out weird hairstyles, drinking bellinis, and watching Doris Day movies all by my lonesome. And believe me, that's no fun...

2 comments:

  1. We're so ridiculous.
    And for the record, the last several times I haven't been able to join you and Shawna for girl's night is because I've been out of town.
    You best check yourself before you wreck yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! We really are quite ridiculous.
    And I was just taking a jab at ya. I thought it would add a bit of humor and attitude :-)
    But we all know neither one of us would ever unfriend you.

    ReplyDelete