Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Most Amazing Chicken Tacos You Will Ever Eat

Last night I made Pioneer Woman's chicken tacos for dinner. I fully expected them to be a bit of a disaster, because I have made them before with friends and they always turned out quite messy...but absolutely delicious. The absolutely delicious part is why I was willing to risk the disaster anyway. The frying-the-tacos-and-using-only-your-hands-and-a-pair-of-tongs part was why I was terrified to risk the disaster.
I'm so glad I didn't let my fear get the best of me, though, because the process was much easier to do by myself than I had anticipated, and I can say with confidence that I have mastered the art of the chicken taco.
I don't have photos to document every step of the process like Pioneer Woman herself does, but in my defense, I didn't have time for all that. And Pioneer Woman's pictures are so much better than any of mine would have turned out anyway. But here's a rundown of the process, in a nutshell:
First, you cube some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Season them with salt and pepper and taco seasoning, and cook them in a bit of oil. While the chicken is cooking, you can go ahead and heat up a couple inches of oil for frying.
*Important: Use a skillet, not a stock pot. My friends and I used a stock pot because of our fear of popping oil, I guess, but a skillet works so much better.
When the chicken is done, you can begin assembling the tacos. Through trial and error, we found that heating the corn tortillas in the microwave for about eight seconds beforehand makes them more pliable and less likely to crack. So once you have filled your heated-up tortilla with about six cubes of chicken (yes, that sounds oddly specific, but it works), just fold it up like a taco and set it into the oil, using a pair of tongs to hold the top half down. After a couple seconds the taco will keep its shape, so you can work on filling another taco. Flip the taco when it is golden brown on one side, and cook the other side until you have equal halves of golden-brown, crispy deliciousness.
Then use the tongs to transfer the taco to a paper towel. Wrap the taco in the paper towel and give it a good shake to get out the excess oil. At this point I went ahead and put cheese on the tacos so it would melt and get all gooey with cheesy goodness. I will warn you, though, that it can be difficult to pry open the tacos without breaking the shell. But do it anyway. You won't be sorry.
My four chicken breasts made eleven tacos (random odd number, I know). But that was plenty for three people and gave me leftovers for lunch today.
You know you want some...
While the chicken taco-making process does take a bit longer than I usually like to spend on making dinner, I will be making these yummy tacos again. They got Randel's stamp of approval, and he can be a picky eater. Although, he's so sweet and says everything I make is equally delicious. I know that's a lie because these tacos were far superior to the lasagna I made a few weeks ago.

But back to the tacos. Since my directions may not be quite clear (and since I didn't include an ingredients list), and because this isn't my recipe, here is Pioneer Woman's recipe for these amazing tacos, complete with the photos that were missing from my post: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/my-brothers-chicken-tacos/.

1 comment: