Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Shopping Trip of a Lifetime

I have never been more excited about going grocery shopping than I was yesterday. And that's saying something, because I actually love going grocery shopping. But I was especially pumped for my Wally World shopping trip yesterday because I had pretty much been out of food for a week.
Case in point:
Before
Chance and I were living off the cereal, Cheetos, and Bisquick you see in the above photo of my pitiful pantry pre-shopping trip.
I usually don't let my foodstuffs run this low, but I got overly ambitious on pay day, the last day of the month, and paid all my bills for the next two weeks on that day, leaving me with a small amount of money for gas and groceries. I had forgotten to budget in the next two weeks' worth of food, so I had to get creative in my meal planning and finally ended up eating the four packages of Ramen noodles that had been stashed in my pantry for weeks, just waiting for a food emergency such as this.
Pay day couldn't come soon enough. I literally counted down the days til I would have money again.
On August 15 I couldn't get ready fast enough. I woke early, which is noteworthy since I was still on my staycation. I brushed my teeth, quickly dressed, threw my hair in a ponytail, and was off.
I power-walked inside, grabbed the cart closest to me (which happened to be a dud, of course), and joined the crowd of Walmart shoppers. I took my time in the non-grocery section, lingering in the toothpaste and makeup aisles. But when I got to the grocery side, it was a different story.
I was grabbing things left and right, like a four-year-old shopping with her mom. Cookies, Kool-Aid, pasta, hot dogs, ice cream. Basically, if it was in that store, I bought it.
So imagine my surprise when I checked out and ended up going only one dollar over budget. Could this day get any better? I thought.
But it did---when I got home and unloaded my twenty bags of groceries and began filling my fridge and pantry once again.
After
Isn't that a beautiful sight?

No comments:

Post a Comment