Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Anniversary: Take 2

Guess what, you guys? Randel and I have been dating for 24 months. Holla!

Such a milestone must be celebrated in style, of course. So last Saturday, after I spent too much time on my hair, makeup, and outfit (he wouldn’t tell me where we were going, just that we had dinner reservations for 7:00), we were on our way to said mystery location.

I had a hunch, though (a strong one, since I had told him weeks before where I wanted to go), that we’d be going to a hibachi restaurant. And sure enough, we pulled up at Shiki with four minutes to spare, thanks to my indecisiveness about my outfit.


My youngest brother went to Shogun on his senior trip and raved about the food and the awesomeness of the place in general. So I was beyond excited to finally experience it for myself.

After Randel told the hostess we had reservations, she led us to a table where two other young couples were in the middle of ordering drinks. I was a bit thrown off by this…until I remembered that DUH, it’s a family-style restaurant. So rather than be miffed that we couldn’t enjoy our own “cooking show” on our anniversary, I decided to fully embrace the whole hibachi grill experience.

And I'm so glad I did. It was one of the most fun dates we've ever had.

Randel was my official taste-tester for the soup and salad—it didn’t look like any soup or salad I had ever seen before. The soup looked like water with some spare mushrooms and green onions thrown in, and the salad looked as though it had been dressed with vomit. Fortunately, the soup had much more flavor than it let on and the salad didn’t taste like yesterday’s breakfast come back to visit. They were both delicious.

Then came time for the show. I felt like we were watching an episode of Iron Chef. Our chef wheeled his cart out, asked how we all wanted our meat cooked, and proceeded to wow us with his culinary tricks. He performed some sort of fancy knife show, tossed eggs into his hat before scrambling them into the fried rice, and lit a stack of onions on fire. It. Was. Awesome.

When he finished making our food—steak for me, chicken for Randel—I was disappointed the show was over but couldn’t wait to chow down.

The fried rice was fan-freaking-tastic. I could have eaten just that and been perfectly satisfied. But I also had juicy, tender sukiyaki steak waiting for me. Nom nom, indeed.

We ate until we were stuffed and had plenty of leftovers. Score!

From Shiki we headed to Drinkz in Bricktown. Because I’m such an awesome girlfriend, I agreed to this plan so Randel could watch the Bama game. (Note: never mind the fact that I love sports just as much as he does, if not more...and that I love a good drink.)

I enjoyed a sweetie-tini and a lemondrop-tini, while Randel knocked back a couple Red Stripes. It was a perfect ending to a perfect anniversary.




Oh yeah, and did I mention he wrote me a card that brought tears to my eyes, got me a gift certificate for a massage, and bought me a beautiful birthstone ring?

nope, not an engagement ring, people...

The game and book I got him pale in comparison...

I’m a lucky girl and couldn’t ask for a better guy to have spent the last two years with.

No comments:

Post a Comment