Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Quotable Quotes

Because I’ve been nearing the end of my read-52-books-in-a-year goal (I’m currently reading books 48 and 49), books have been on my mind lately. More specifically, I’ve been thinking about some of my favorite quotes. Not every quote I find to be inspirational/beautiful/moving comes from a book, but the ones found in the pages of some of my most-loved stories, as well as books I read just this year, made me want to share a few of my favorite quotes in general.

Enjoy!

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.”
– John Green, The Fault in Our Stars


I think this sentence perfectly captures the feeling of falling in love. Everyone says “you just know” when it happens, and I suppose that’s true. I can’t pinpoint the exact moment I fell in love with Randel. It was likely a combination of things—like his devotion to family (both mine and his), the fact that he almost always opens the car door for me, the way he lets me have control of the remote, and his adorable smile. But Green has said it much more accurately and poignantly than I can.


“We’ll be friends forever, won’t we, Pooh?” asked Piglet.
“Even longer,” Pooh answered.

-A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

This is how I feel about mine and Jennifer’s friendship/sisterhood. Through the awkardness and hilarity of elementary through high school, the ups and downs of college life, buying houses, and becoming adults who have to make our own dentist appointments, we have formed an unbreakable bond that I’m thankful for every day. A bond not unlike the one shared by Pooh and Piglet.

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. “Pooh?” he whispered.
“Yes, Piglet?”
“Nothing,” said Piglet, taking Pooh’s hand. “I just wanted to be sure of you.”

-A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh



I can't include one of my favorite Winnie-the-Pooh quotes without including the other. A.A. Milne brilliantly captured the realness and the heart of true friendship with this quote. This small scene brings to mind the sweetest picture. And isn’t that how we all feel about our best friends?



The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all.”
-Mulan


I have this quote displayed in my cubicle, not only because it’s from one of my favorite movies, but also because I think it applies to what I do every day. It can be a challenge to come up with witty/interesting/entertaining copy that inspires customers and generates sales. But if I don't rise up to that challenge, I'll be the flower that wilts and withers instead of thrives.



“Leap, and the net will appear.”
-John Burroughs

This was excellent advice for changing careers several months ago—I leapt from Tate and landed in the Hobby Lobby net. This quote also provides some cube décor in the form of a Post-It stuck to my computer monitor. I look at it and get an instant confidence boost.

Don't these snippets of loveliness just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment