Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Copywriter

I've been a copywriter for almost three months now, so I guess I can finally tell you what that really means.

When I took the job, I was under the assumption that I'd be writing project sheets all day every day...or for the most part, at least.

I've written four or five. So what have I been doing the rest of the time? I'm glad you asked. Let me break it down for you.

1. Baby memory books: My second week on the job, Kelly (the other writer) and I were approached by a team leader who needed us to write some baby memory books that already had cover designs. There were six altogether. Kelly was basically playing catch-up (before I entered the picture, she was the only writer and had LOTS to do), so the task of writing the books fell mostly on me. I can't go into much detail since the books aren't on shelves yet, but this has turned out to be my favorite project so far. We got to proof the books a couple weeks ago, and they turned out so cute! I'll probably buy one of each when they're finally in stores.

2. Naming jobs: We've gotten a few naming jobs since I've been around, and these are so much fun! I got to help name a new candle, a new line of Sunday school-type materials, and a Hobby Lobby name for a puzzle mat so far. These types of jobs involve making gigantic word lists and putting those words together in different combinations. I don't know yet which names got picked, but I'll be sure to let you know when I find out...if any of mine are chosen.

3. Packaging and instructions: I've done lots of these. These jobs aren't as creative as the first two, but they're still fun. Basically, a team leader will come to us with some packaging for a different company's product, and we'll rewrite the instructions and fluff-type material for Hobby Lobby. Most of these have been for our bakery line, Sunny Side Up, so I write about decorating cakes and cookies a lot. It's no wonder I've been in the baking mood lately.

4. Crochet kit instructions: I think I need to learn how to crochet, because we've got a lot of crochet kits coming out, and yours truly gets to help write the instructions for them. For these jobs, I spend lots of time Googling "how to crochet" and watching YouTube videos that show me how to yarn over, change colors, crochet in the round, etc. I'm still just as clueless as I was when I started.

5. Anything else that needs written: Every day really is different, and I love that. We really never know what we're going to get to work on. Some of the miscellaneous projects I've had a hand in have been: writing instructions for Christmas craft kits, coming up with verbiage for our corporate Christmas party invitations, writing job-recruitment materials, interviewing employees for the recruitment packet, editing the department manual, and so much more that I can't even remember everything. I'm never bored, because even when I don't have a deadline to meet, I can always research trends for upcoming project sheets, browse copywriting blogs, familiarize myself with different craft techniques, bulk up my buzzword lists, and so much more.

So there you have it: my job in a nutshell. I'm having a lot of fun at my new job, so I'm sure you'll hear more about it and the fun new projects I'm working on. Until then, go browse HobLob's project sheets, bakery items, and line names. I just might have done some of the writing for them.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm officially still jealous. Your job sounds so, so, so awesome. You get to name candle scents?! I've always wanted to that. Please do let me/your readers know when those baby books come out because I'll probably get one, and it would be so cool if I could say, "Oh, yeah, my friend wrote this." AH! I have major job envy, Ashley, but I'm so happy for you. Goodness knows you deserve an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you're so sweet, LMO! Thank you so much! I will totally let you know when the baby books come out :-)

    ReplyDelete